This reference guide of Southern California Drug rehab facilities reveals vital information you can use to decide how you, a loved one or a good friend can find the help they need to turn their life around.
In California, 12.94% of adults use illicit drugs which is higher than the national average.
Are All Drug Rehab Facilities In Southern California The Same?
All facilities handling substance addiction have to report and answer to both the California Department of Health Care Services and the California Health and Human Services Agency. If the rehab facility you are considering is not either licensed or certified by these two governmental institutions, then the care you will receive might not be evidence-based treatments, which could decrease your chance of breaking free of addiction.
The reason for picking a rehab center that is licensed or certified by the state is so the treatment program you will be in is conducted in a safe and healthy environment. The programs also have a known success record of helping people be free of substance abuse.
Presently there are more than 1000 non-medical health faculties that are either certified or licensed by the state in Southern Californian. From San Diego in the south to Santa Clara in the north to San Bernardino and Riverside to the east.
Should You Choose A Certified Or Licensed Rehab Center?
By enlisting the help of a license or certified rehab center, you will be within the California state’s system. The benefits of that include the following;
- The programs use evidence-based treatments where the results are logged and verified.
- Being in the system of the state means they also know how to provide you with financial aid if necessary.
- Both inpatient and outpatient programs are available.
- Transfers from one facility to another are possible without leaving the system.
- Each facility is overseen by the local county mental health department who takes responsibility for the health and well being of each patient.
What Types Of Treatment Are Available?
Each person who has a substance abuse problem is different and therefore each treatment plan is tailored made for them. This is the reason for the initial interview so the correct type and level of help can be provided.
- Inpatient treatment; the patient is housed in a facility and not permitted to leave until released. They receive 24-hour care for their condition along with room and board. If inpatient treatment is not mandated by the court, the patient can leave against MA (medical advice).
- Outpatient treatment; a patient will go to a designated facility according to their schedule. This can be for up to 6 hours a day in a hospital or other type of facility. This is generally a counseling environment.
The exact type of treatment will vary depending on the needs of the patient but can include;
- Group and or individual therapy sessions
- Medication management
- Detox centers, inpatient-only
- Court-mandated treatments
- Support group meetings
- Life skill and employment training
- Educational courses
- Transitional assistance
- Aftercare services
The type of treatment is individualized, but when the patient is addicted the first step is detox. For some patient’s medications might be used to ease the withdrawal symptoms. After their body is free of the substance then the healing process can begin.
Is Drug Rehabilitation The Only Treatment Provided?
Most people addicted to a substance have other problems that made them susceptible to having a problem with drugs. It is best to treat not only the addiction to a substance, but also the condition that might have contributed to it becoming a problem. The conditions that might need to be addressed include mental health disorders, PTSD, anxiety, depression, and or a complex trauma situation.
Treating the cause and the addiction is the best path to follow for a full and lasting recovery. This might require a medical professional.
The Differences Between Private and Public Rehab Facilities
Private and public facilities differ in four main areas, how the services are paid for, the types of services provided, the order of admission to a facility and the environment in the facility.
Paying for the services of a rehab center
- Many free and low-cost public drug rehab centers in southern California are available to California residents. The funds are provided by the state, county and or non-profit organizations. Fees are assessed per the income level of the household where the patient resides.
- Paying for a private rehab facility is done with a combination of health insurance and fees paid by the household of the patient. There are also situations where nonprofit organizations make contributions to help cover costs. Medicare and Medicaid are not accepted by most private facilities.
Types of services provided
- Public drug rehab centers offer the basic treatment of detox along with a wide variety of rehabilitation services. The number and quality of the services are dictated by the funding each facility has in its budget as set by the state.
- Private drug rehab facilities offer a wider range of services than public facilities. This is possible since the budget and programs provided are set by the board of directors and not the state. The services can be custom designed to meet the needs of the client.
Admission to a facility
- Public rehab centers have a specific protocol for admissions. The top priority is pregnant women. They are followed by intravenous drug-addicted patients than by those who get classified as in immediate crisis mode. If there are remaining openings then others can be admitted.
- Private drug rehab centers accept anyone who can pay for their services as long as there is an opening.
The environment of a facility
- Public rehab facilities are set up and furnished in buildings supplied by the state or local county. Aesthetics is not the top propriety, space is. Some of the furniture might be repurposed from other public faculties.
- Private facilities are purpose built and are furnished from average to luxurious. It is dependent on the cliental.
Will Drug Rehab Treatment Be Successful?
All drug rehab treatments are designed to assist a person with an addiction to live drug free. The one factor treatment cannot provide is the desire of the patient to live free of their addiction. The right attitude and desire to be free of addiction is a must.
What the treatment and the facility will provide are the tools to make living free of an addiction a reality. Each patient will learn skills on how to coup with the impulse to prevent returning to addiction. This is in part accomplished by learning how to change one’s behavior so the temptation is decreased. The patients will also learn how to avoid a situation where they might become vulnerable.
Any person dependent on a substance can stay drug-free with the supportive help of family, friends, and sponsors who can and will help them when they feel cravings or struggling with temptation. For many, this struggle to live drug-free will last for years after leaving the drug treatment program. Living drug-free is possible with the support of those around them in their daily lives.
If you are ready to live your life on your own terms then consider your choices from the numerous Southern California drug rehab centers. The beginning of your new life is just a phone call or email away.